Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Little Builder

Wow, here I am, just blogging away the past few days. I think I've done more blogs in the past three days than I have in the last three months... Well, it really helps that Dave has been working late. Monday he flew until 9:30, last night he had duty until 1:30 (a.m.) and tonight it looks like midnight again. Since he's not home to spend time with, I can get things done...



So it occurred to me the other day that I an knee deep in building blocks. Small wooden blocks, mega blocks, tinker toys, Legos, even a small set of K'Nex. Now, Legos have by far become Calvin's toy of choice. Some days that is the only thing he plays with. And I am absolutely amazed by the things he builds with them. Mostly it's airplanes and spaceships, but sometimes there are cars and forts. It's really neat to watch and makes me wonder if he's got a little bit of an engineering gene from his dad... Anyways, I don't have pictures of his Legos creations, but here a couple of "ships" he built recently from tinker toys - all by himself.
Well, this one might be a gun.

This is a Star Wars ship. It actually kind of looks like one to me. I love how symmetrical it is.

5 comments:

Leah said...

That's amazing! He has such attention to detail. We have a Lego set for Ethan too, he likes to build "apartment buildings", which is a tall tower of Legos. It may be awhile before we get to cars and airplanes:)

Tracy said...

All we have are some foam blocks. This post made me think that I should pull out some wooden ones and the flexiblocks (like legos) that I have from DT. Mikie loves to build train tracks, but frankly, I'm sooo tired of that and Zach can't seem to play with them without destroying them causing a huge fight. At least the legos wouldn't break or tumble down as easily. Thanks for the idea! I too am impressed with his imagination and engineering skills. Great job Calvin!

Amber said...

That so looks like a star wars ship! I am very impressed. My son still isn't all that into building, cars definitely make up most of the things he plays with, and I realized tonight that we could start our own car lot. But it is a great idea to get out some of the large lego blocks that he has and see what they do!

Great inspiration! Thanks Calvin! And you too, Steph. It's nice to see so many blogs.

Boagie (Janice) said...

Totally awesome Calvin! You are quite the builder. Keep up the good work and have mommy keep taking pictures of your creations.

Love the new neon colors of tinker toys. So much more fun than the plain brown and occasional red & yellow ones. Thanks for letting Calvin use his imagination with so many different sets of building toys. I know it must be a lot to keep separate; shows that you are such a good mommy to deal with them all. Love reading all the blogs. Keep them coming please.

Carrie said...

Wow, totally impressive! Love the star wars ship...I think that is early talent for sure! Gunner just stacks his legos and blocks to build a "tower". Good job Calvin!